OLDWAYS PROJECT – PHASE TWO
The Oldway’s is a village green registered by Hemingbrough Parish Council, the Parish of Hemingbrough Historical/Heritage Society have been granted permission by the Parish Council to carry out such work as to enhance the area for the future. A licence has been granted to the Society by North Yorkshire County Council Highways department to carry out work on the Oldway’s track, Dykes and Drainage are fully conversant with any work carried out.
Work has now started on Phase two of the Oldway’s project, the Society was successful in a funding application to North Yorkshire County Council to obtain Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) raised from the building of the Lytag Factory at Drax Power Station which raised sufficient funds to start and complete Phase two.
Andy Pulleyne a local landscape contractor keen ecologist and with environmental awareness has been carrying out the work. He has been working within the strict time limits applied by NYCC environment so as not to disturb or damage the nesting habitat of any wildlife. Andy also carried out the work on Phase one which the community are now enjoying.
Phase two commenced on Friday 24th February 2017 and consisted of clearing a path route through the existing undergrowth and trees from the pond at phase one, to the Church Walk Causeway. The debris left at the side of Oldway’s track due to drainage board dredging was scraped and used to level the footpath through the undergrowth. This enabled the society to commence planting 420 trees of various species which were obtained from the Woodland Trust and planted to their specification. This was a special pack provided by the Woodland Trust to cater for and encourage wildlife.
The landscaping of Phase two is now complete, there is more work to do by the society and volunteers in managing the area in the spring months, and this includes laying of mulch on the footpath and grassing certain areas. A cleared area around the base of an old willow tree stump is to be grassed and logs dug into the area for seating. This will hopefully provide a format for an outdoor nature school that can be enjoyed by all local schools.
If you would like to know more about the trees that have been planted please click on the link below.
Earlier this year the society applied to the Heritage Lottery for funding to complete, restore and regenerate the pathway known locally as Oldway’s to develop wetlands areas, outdoor learning and provide information relating to the rich history of the path and its wildlife. Unfortunately due to the volume of applications this year we were unsuccessful. We are however looking for funding elsewhere with the view to completing phase two of the Oldway’s project.
The picture below taken on 29th December 2016 show that part of phase one of the project, the reclaimed pond is now starting to establish itself with an abundance of sticklebacks and water spiders spotted in the pond over the last year.
These pictures show the area where phase two will start
Preserving the Heritage of an area that was once the course of the River Ouse and runs for approximately 3/4 of a mile to the west of the village and behind the Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin. The river in those days was used to transport the stone for the construction of the church and also was the route taken by Viking on their way to the Battle of Fulford in 1066. (see Village History Page ‘A little History from 1066 and all that…).
Phase one has been completed with the kind funding from DRAX Power – a path has been opened up, pond excavated and picnic tables put in place.