Compiled by the Parish of Hemingbrough Historical/Heritage Society
All information and pictures are the reserved rights of the Society
CHAPEL FIELD COTTAGES SCHOOL ROAD
The picture below shows a row of four cottages (on left) (Chapel Field Cottages) taken circa 1940s.
These cottages were small and consisted of two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs there was no bathroom just an outside toilet.
Thank you Brenda and Cliff Boyes for the picture and the little background story about the cottage they lived in. Brenda’s father bought cottage number one for her and husband Cliff when they married in June 1961. A few years later they bought cottage number two and with a lot of hard work converted the cottages into one dwelling. Brenda and Cliff have lived in Chapel Field Cottages for fifty seven years. Brenda is well known in the village she was caretaker at Hemingbrough Primary school for twenty plus years.
Brenda and Cliff are keen bowlers and have been members of Hemingbrough Bowls Club for twenty seven years since the club was founded. Brenda is also actively involved with the Good Companions Group.
Chapel Field Cottages 2018
HEMINGBROUGH METHODIST CHAPEL
In 2007 the Methodist Chapel underwent a great change, with a lot of fundraising and hard work the Chapel was converted into a village community hall. It is now used by many community groups and has bookings for each day of the week. On the first Thursday of each month the Methodist volunteers hold a very welcome coffee morning which is well attended by young and old. Each month they hold a raffle and the monies raised are given to support the groups in the village.
Hemingbrough Chapel February 2017
Below are some pictures showing some of the work that was carried out in order to convert the chapel. The new Chapel for worship is now at the back of the building.
By Kind permission of Dorothy’s daughters Mary and Carol below is a link to the early days of the Methodist Chapel, ‘Recollections’ by Dorothy Swann
HAWTHORNE FARM IN MAIN STREET PHOTOGRAPHED IN 1919
A typical farm house with dummy window upstairs, heavy blacksmith made wrought iron railings the band of slightly protruding brickwork at ceiling level both downstairs and upstairs Limestone cornice stones and window in a flagged attic which served as a spinning room, sash windows plus the traditional style of gates.
INGLENOOK COTTAGE LANDING LANE HEMINGBROUGH
Inglenook Cottage on Landing Lane (formerly Landing Road). Here we have the cottage Mr Haslop ‘a retired engineer’ and his family lived in until after the 2nd World War. Look at the roadsides, no footpaths in those days, while the cottage was just a simple workman’s home.
HEMINGBROUGH SCHOOL AT THE TURN OF THE CENTURY
(Mrs Mary Carr’s School)
This grade two listed building stands on the junction of Garth Ends Lane and the old Howden Road. Built in 1847 it was used for a school until 1878 when a larger school was erected further along Howden Road (now known as School Road). This is the earliest known school building in Hemingbrough still standing. Over the years the building has been used as an Educational School, Sunday School, Evening Meeting place, and a Military Headquarters during the 2nd world war.
At the present time a number of local groups including pre-school use the building. The building is managed by The Institute and Playing Field Committee.
Mrs Mary Carr’s School – early 1900’s
ST ANDREW’S MISSION HUT CLIFFE
The picture below is a photo of the original St Andrew’s Mission hut, this wooden structure was first erected in 1908 it was used continually as a mission until the end of its life in the early 1980s. In 1984-5 the old wooden structure was removed with part of the site sold for building and a new purpose built mission was designed and later erected by WAG Hare & Son Builders of Kelfield. The new St Andrew’s was opened on St Andrew’s day 1985 and has been in regular use ever since.
THE WINDMILL AT SOUTH DUFFIELD
In 1850 the Mill was being operated by a farmer Mr W Haddlesey, by 1880 Mr W Watson was the Miller he was also a farmer and from 1900 to 1920 Mr J Rhodes operated the Mill.
By 1930 it was no longer in use and in 1937 the revolving top was thought to be unsafe and should be removed as soon as possible, Mr George Tindall from Hemingbrough with his cousin John Tindall from Osgodby came along with their two Traction Engines and pulled the top off. The top was said to have weighed almost 4 tons.
The final picture was taken in the year 2000 as with the many Yorkshire Windmill shells it may be soon too late, for an abandoned building such as this could collapse at any time. It is believed that this windmill has now been converted into a domestic property.
THE RAILWAY INN – CLIFFE COMMON
This Inn started life as the Station Inn and in 1889 the Landlord was William Tasker, by 1901 the Landlord was Alfred Lewis and by 1909 Asa Woodall was the Landlord.
By the year 1921 when William Lewis was the Landlord the name had been changed to the Railway Inn and was still the Railway Inn in the early thirties when it closed.
Over a period of years, changes may slowly take place to properties and without photographic records having been taken of street scenes and properties etc, it can be difficult to visualise just what or if any changes have taken place at all. Take just one property in Main Street, Hemingbrough as an example, ‘Tadville’
‘Kelly’s Directory’ of 1921, list’s David Tremble, coal merchant & Carrier and here he is with his wife, Rose Creasey, and Annie Ward outside his property in Main St, which by looking at an old Ordnance survey map we can see once had an Orchard running back to ‘Back Lane’ .
The Windmill at Hemingbrough was in existence at the time of Henry VIII and was at one time owned by the Lord of the Manor. In 1330 and 1345 the mill was rented by Thomas the miller for 26s per annum – by 1370 the rent was 5s.7d with the right to fish the Derwent. In 1730 the mill was bought by Mr Thomas Howdell of Brayton and his descendants occupied it until almost 1900, when at this time Mr George Smith was at the Mill.
The pictures show the windmill in 1901 it was a post mill and stood on a mound of earth in the middle of mill yard down Mill Lane. In 1892 Mr J Smith was the Miller but by 1930 the Mill was unused and unsafe.In May 1932 Mr Smith decided to have the Mill pulled down. Two years later the National Trust came along to save the old Mill.
Hemingbrough Windmill 1901
This former farmhouse dated 1754 on one of its stone cornices also has a brick plat band, and insurance plaques above the front door. Many large farm houses with central chimney stacks had attics with flagged or concrete floors and also had windows in the end walls. The attics in some farmhouses were used for servant quarters, or wool spinning areas, but not in all instances.
Hoton House was named after Prior Hoton who died in Rome on the 9th January 1308 and who had been a benefactor to the Church of Durham from 1289.
Hoton House Hemingbrough 2003
On the 22nd of April 1295 Prior Hoton was granted a charter by Edward the 1st for a Market at Hemingbrough every Thursday and a six day Fair and Feast the second week in August. This date was changed in 1780 to the last week in June so as not to clash with the gathering of the harvest by farmers and smallholders.
In later years, even after the 2nd World War had ended the last week in June was still called Feast week by some of the older families, although today the phrase is rarely heard.
The above extract is taken from ‘Reflections and Photographs from Hemingbrough, Cliffe, Babthorpe and South Duffield’ now on sale at Hemingbrough Post Office.
The information and photographs on this page are by kind permission of our archivist.